Friday, October 9, 2009

Long day, rough night

So I woke up this morning to a clean house. Yes I did the washing up. No I know that isn’t a big deal, but when you realize I forgot to buy a washing up brush and washing up liquid. Do’h! I was also was up dressed and ready to be picked up by Daniel. It is dark and pissing it down.

Today was really looking to get stuck into work, but in reality I am doing more learning of the systems and methodology of the company. It is quite a different way of working. Back in the UK, it is you want it, we can build it… to get us started, what kind of things do you like the look of? This works well and it is what I am used to. Here the approach is very proactive. Here is a bunch of stuff we have thought of that you could do, this is how much it will cost, when do you want us to start? At the moment it is looking at current stuff and then coming up with suggestions to improve it. I just hope I can keep coming up with good ideas.

This afternoon has been mainly doing paperwork. Sorting out life insurance and a social security number (SSN). Now the social security number is a real pain the in the arse. Ages ago I read somewhere I didn’t need one. Today I spoke to Bobbie who does the accounts (really nice lady) who says I do need one… an "Unrestricted" one. I have looked at the SS website and it says I don’t need one and they can’t issue me one… I know I’ll ring them… estimated wait time 15minutes… you call is important to us… please hold.. we are sorry you are still waiting… please… hold is my voice getting annoying?... please hold would you like me to sing you a song? … daisy daisy… please hold… Oh bollocks to this.. its only 3 block up the road. So I ran up there and got through security and they said "we closed 5 minutes ago, try after the bank holiday on Tuesday". So I got back to the office and waited on hold again… daisy daisy… please hold… eventually I got through to a guy that said go to the website and fill in this form… so I do need on then.

My mobile rings (that I haven’t heard ring for a week) and it is a local number. Odd! It is Dave, an expat who’s wife has been speaking to Sarah on facebook. A few of us are going out for a drink… wanna come? "yeah".

At this point I am packing up ready to leave and Daniel says I have been speaking to some of the guys at my church and they said if you want to borrow some furniture, you can! Excellent I am now not eating off my lap. The guys here have been really good to me.

As soon as the furniture got dropped of by Dan, Dave and Sian turned up.. (no time to eat). We went out and picked up nick another expat. They live in fishers. It must have been a 50minute round trip. We went to Broadripple, which is a bit like the Wellingborough road. We had a drink or 10. Needless to say I got a bit tipsy. The next time I see that cap driver I will apologise. I got back 2am and just collapsed on my air bed… bong bong! It was a good night out, and met some really nice people, who I will hopefully meet again soon.



The inside of the toilet in one of the pubs... (I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment