Sunday, October 11, 2009

Help I'm drowning in paperwork

Today I spent most of the morning filling in forms. Rent, banking, insurance, social security. You name it I have a form for it.

After doing that I thought I would pop in to the gym. Yes baby the gym. Check these guns out. Granted I only went to take advantage of the free wifi, but hey it is included in the rent! I then lost complete track of time. The next thing I knew is that I had been there for 2 hours.
Expat David (Sian’s husband) can around with son Oliver with some furniture they had in storage and a tv. This is great, now I have entertainment. After dropping the stuff off at the apartment we took a leisurely drive to their place. Now this was a very nice house... A very big nice house. I couldn’t help think of the fresh prince of Bel-Air when I walked through the door. After a little it was time to shop…till I drop.

Sian, Megan (Sian’s daughter) and I went shopping. It was good to see the kind of things you can get for the price you are willing to pay. We started off by going to a charity shop, but this is not a charity shop as how we know it. No. this is the size of Toys R Us. It was massive there was one or two things I got there, like fruit bowls and a few Halloween things for the kids when they get here. We then went to Target (or tar-chet, said with a French accent) this is like John Lewis… but big. This was followed by wal-mart (like a massive ASDA), then finally onto Marshalls (a bit like Sainsbury’s).

After spending approx $250 on all the little things we all have but never think about until we realize they are not there I was treated to dinner at Red Robin (Similar kind of place to Pizza hut…. but with burgers). Thank you Sian & David for all your help and hospitality. You have made the transition much easier than it otherwise could have been. We had a good chat about the differences between America and the UK. I really find it fascinating.

I know you probably see things on TV about shootings and violence etc. To be honest, before I got here I was mentally preparing for that and am very surprised how different it is. People are very trusting here and it quite common to leave you door unlocked. I used to think how weird and kind of fake the whole "how are you today?" thing was, but I have to say they are serious… and I defiantly prefer it to the "alright" you tend to get in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment