Thursday, October 15, 2009

Whhaaaaaaaaaa, All I want to do is drive!

So today I was gonna finally get my International Driving Permit (IDP), or so I thought. An IDP is a document that accompanies your driving license in order to drive on a foreign driving license. I knew this quite some time ago. I mean months before I came out here, the one thing that I didn’t realized that it is issued in the country that you are coming from not going to.

The gravity of the situation came to ahead today when I went to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). It is only about 15 minutes walk from the office so it wasn’t a big deal. Another government agency, another ticketing system and yet another waiting room! “Hi! I am a British citizen and I want to drive bit I need and IDP please” says I. “mm hum, got to desk number 3 hun. Keisha will be able to help you out”.. ok “Hi! I am a British citizen and I want to drive bit I need and IDP please” says I again. “ we don’t issue these here sweetheart, you need to get that from you home country be before you come here. All we can do is issue you with a Indiana state license.” says Keisha “Great! what do you need from me?” It turns out that I need to do a written test (I can cram, no problem), and eye test (got new Porsche glasses, again no problem) and you need to do a driving exercise. They will not provide a vehicle. I need to make sure I have an insured car. But I can’t hire one without an IDP. Back to square one. So the real question is where do I get one when I am in Indiana? The Advice from the DVW is speck to the british embassy.

Let’s go to the British embassy, it is near… I looked it up on Google and it is 4 blocks from here. I my minds eye I had visions on union jack flapping in the wind, Bentleys outside with the engine running. “Hmm ambassador, you are really spoiling us”. This is not what I got.
Don’t get me wrong, this place was impressive with forty floors of brushed steel, glass and granite. I got into the lobby and spoke to the desk clerk. British embassy? “Say what? I think you have the wrong place sir. You need next door.” I go next door know that is defiantly the wrong place. Indiana chamber of commerce is written above the door, so back I go to the first building.

Pulling out the scrap of paper, with my Google result scribbled down. “I’m looking for this guy in the British Embassy, it even says the room number” says I. “Well that is on the top floor but I need to swipe my key card in the elevator to get you up there, as it is a private law firm. As the lift get higher I feel my ears pop. DING, and the doors open. Expecting to see Lex Luthor, I am actually will greeted but a tuft of hair behind a desk. “good morning to dewey, chetem and howe, please hold (ok that wasn’t the name of the company but was a law firm called something like that). As I got closer to the desk I soon realized this tuft of hair was a little old lady.



Hello, I am a UK citizen, I have been to the DMV and they have to come here as I need an IDP, but I can’t get one” as I handed over my scribble down Google result. “Let me make some calls” came the response. Another lady appeared and asked how can I help, (sigh)… me, move, no drive, IDP, DMV now here! Wait here and I get right back to you.

As I wait I get chatting to the little old lady. It turns out she is a Brit! An Essex girl! She had been living here for 30 years. She had twang in the accent that gave me a clue, but she did say “to-mate-o”, say it with “tom-art-toe” you can do it… she played along and made her smile break up a what must have been quite a boring day. I was a great view from her desk. You could see all around including my office window. I was looking down quite a way but it was a great view. As the professional I am I took some sneaky shot with my phone.

Just then the second lady appeared again. I have made some calls and the gentleman you want is out of the state at the moment. He is a repetitive for the British embassy but he does work for this firm. He has given me 2 numbers you may want to call. The embassy in Chicago or the consulate in Washington are you two options. Thanks very much. I grab the sheet of paper that she has written and head back in the lift for my ears to pop again.

Back at my desk I give the first number a ring. Two rings and “hello” comes the very northern voice. “er hello, have I rang the right number?”… “well it depends on how ya want to speak to luv”… “er the british consulate?”… “no luv, we’re Britons in distress” (well In am getting close to it now) I explain , move, uk, can’t drive, IDP, DMV,UK embassy, here, HELP! “ awe luv we just can’t help ya, you could try DVLA int Swansea, but that’s going back at bit now from when I moved 30 years ago int tit” ok thanks for nothing.

Square one and we are back for a visit!

A bit more research reveals that it is actually the RAC and the AA that issue these in the UK, to UK residents with a UK address that matches the UK address on the driving license. After a lot of farting around I found the form to apply for one and have sent this to Sarah. I pray to god that there are some passport photos of me back in the UK otherwise I am stuck without a car for 3 years! Tomorrow I will need to scan my passport and my driving license and email it to Sarah at work. The difficulty is that Sarah finishes (work for good) at 2pm (GMT) and the office I work in doesn’t open until 9 (WST). Five hours difference,1 moment in time.

I just hope I can scan these documents in before she leaves her job for good!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds far more complex than the canadian to UK one, with a canadian licence my other half could drive in the uk for a year on his licence and then could just swap it for a UK one. The same happens when I go to canada. Else it can be quite complicated. We don't even need to do the international drivers licence. Can you really not rent a car with a UK licence? As I know that you normally can, although I don't know if you can for a longer amount of time, surely that's possible. I wish you luck my friend and hope that you get this sorted.

    ReplyDelete