Sunday, December 27, 2009

Snow comes crashing down

What a day! Yesterday it started snowing again. It snows quite a bit compared to the UK, but every time it has snowed so far I have been at work and not been able to play in the snow with the kids. The plan was to go to Wal-Mart to buy a sledge (or sled as you need to describe it here) and a snow shovel. I love Wal-Mart it is bright and you can get everything you want at a reasonable price.

There is a park just behind the store that has some cool slopes to play on too! Result!

We all get in the car and take a gentle cruise across to the other side of the road to the park. The snow plough hasn’t been in this bit so it is a little more difficult to see the road, but there are plenty of tire tracks to let you know where to drive. At the bottom of this hill there is a bridge to the top car park. We gently trundle across it and get an idea of where we could go sledging later on.

Back down the hill we go…

At all of 8 miles an hour, I see another car crossing the bridge… I turn the wheel… the car doesn’t change direction… I apply the brakes… the car doesn’t reduce speed… I want to not slam into this car… the car doesn’t listen… BANG!

Shite!


My Car


His Car

The corner of my car has hit the corner of his. The corner of his car looks quite dented… the corner of mine has disintegrated. Everyone was OK, in both cars.

Sarah picked up the bits smashed car from the floor as not to drive over them and get a puncher too. She put these in the back of our car while waiting for the police to turn up. I have to say that I was very surprised at the speed they got there. Considering the snow and all, the officer met us just four minutes after the accident.

I was really glad that I had an Indiana driving license and vehicle registration with the insurance documentation there with me. I can only imagine what it would have been like with a UK license, International driving permit and temporary plates!

My poor car limped home with fog light dangling inched from the road. 4 weeks from new before wracking a car… now that has to be a record! At least it feels like my car now. I’m not used to having a car that is not damaged!

Once we got back to the apartment it started snowing again. I need to fix this thing as best I can, as the last thing I need is snow getting snow in the hole where the light & bumper used to be. After assessing the damage it became quickly apparent that I need duck (gaffer) tape and super glue.

Back to Wal-Mart I go/limp. I hate Wal-Mart with those glaring lights and tons of stuff you will never want… “Duck tape & super glue… HOW MUCH!... bloody rip off” I hate this place!

“Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart. Have a nice day” – oh p**s off.

I get back home and the snow is really coming down now. Using the bits of car that Sarah picked up I start putting together the 3D jigsaw of my car bumper.



Have you ever wondered “does duct tape lose its stickiness in sub-zero temperature?” Let me tell you. YES! I’m carefully pushing bits of plastic together and painstakingly putting superglue around the edges and gluing them back together. I say painstakingly, as I’m actually gluing my fingers to the car and ripping them away before it sets to quickly. It definitely is my car now. It has layers of my skin glued to it! I’m sure it would hurt if I could feel my hands. After 2 hours in the cold I come in to defrost, bringing the drivers light with me. That will be my 3D puzzle game when the kids are in bed later.



I finally did get to play with Katie in the snow. She loved it! We walked about a half mile circuit of our housing community, and when we go back to the beginning, our footprints were snowed over!

Once the kids were in bed I manage to put together the driver front light pretty well. I think it helped that I had some extra bits from the other guys car. Screw it! I have glue those on as well. The more the merrier. I now have borg-like headlights!

I have just finished getting the superglue from my fingers. I found the best way to remove it is with a razor blade.

Yet again I find myself looking in the mirror (while shaving the palms of my hands) thinking how do you get yourself in these situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment