Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's all about the delivery

I have bought furniture many times before in the UK. I remember the last time I bought a load of stuff from "a well known swedish furniture store" that needed to be delivered I got asked “When do you want it… next Thursday or a week next Monday?” Well, I won’t be able to be there to let you in on Thursday so a week on Monday I guess. “Certainly that will be £300 delivery, plus the £150 storage fee for the week… which now costs you more than the furniture you are buying. We won’t be able to tell you what time of day, but we will be happy to post a note through your door saying we called and you were out!” – Bloody rip off.

You finally get it home and you need a good 5 hours to assemble the bloody thing!

Does any of this sound familiar?

Today we finally bought a bed, drawers, dresser, mirror, headboard, bed and bed-frame from American Freight. “When would you like it delivered?” says the sales guy (when he is not complementing me on my accent). “Erm, soon as possible” I say expecting it to be 3 weeks from next Wednesday. “How about between 5-7pm this afternoon?” he says like it’s no big deal. “Sure, that would be great” I say.

Cut to 5pm when I get a call from the driver saying her will be there in 15mins… Result! Two big (very polite) guys come and drop it all in our bedroom. “Is it difficult to assemble?” I say not knowing what to expect when opening the boxes. “All you need is a screw driver to put the handles on the front of the drawers and your all set." That’s it! No matching point A with point B.

I am looking forward to a good night’s sleep on a bed that I don’t have to keep filling up with air!

To recap, from looking at it in the store, to it being fully assembled in our bedroom 3.5 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment