Thursday, December 17, 2009

Is this Paradise? Is it? Is it really?

At lunchtime today I wanted to get out and stretch my legs. I asked everyone in the office if they fancied going out to get some lunch. There is a place at the bottom of the chase building (which is the tallest building in Indianapolis) called Paradise.

You kind of slide your tray along the side and build up you meal as you go… a bit like you would at a motorway service station. When you first get into the line it has two directions, one for sweet pastries and things and another for salads and sandwiches. I think you have to line up twice if you want to have a savory and a dessert…. its bit weird really. It is quite an up market place so I was quite surprised with the response when asking for a caser salad.

Behind the glass the other side of the counter was a little Hispanic lady asking what I would like. As I looked through the glass at all the lovely things I could hear my tummy start to rumble in anticipation. I pointed at one of those posh Cesar salad photos (you know being healthy and all). Instead of putting together a nice salad with the ingredients in front of her, she picked up a bucket of pre-torn lettuce leafs. With the action a vet would use to help deliver a calf, she reaches in shoulder deep and scrapped the last few leafs from the bottom and dumped in into a plastic dish, and sprinkles a bit of parmesan cheese on top. Nice!

“Do I get any kind of dressing with it?” – I say with true disappointed way.

“Yes” – she says and reaches up across all the nice ingredients to a small pot off dressing…. but she can’t reach. I would pass it to her but there is glass there so I can’t get at it. She then squats down behind the counter and returns with some tongs, jumping and reaching like a little kid. Still not being able to reach, she then turns over the bucket where my salad came from up-side-down, and stands on it, and da daaar! She reaches it... just as her necklace dangles right in the salsa dip in front of her… and splashes back in her cleavage. Hmmm nice.

I just think to myself “That’s it… just rub it in, it’s not as if you have a whole line of people watching you”

Needles to say I won’t be going there again for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment