Saturday, November 21, 2009

Lights, Comfort, Action

I am determined that while we are here we make the weekends count. I think it would be very easy to fall in the trap of sitting in front of the TV and watch one of the hundreds of channels that are available all day. I could do that back in the UK, so I always try and not watch TV in the daytime when there is stuff to do. With that in mind, on Saturday, we went for a little drive around to see what parks and local attractions there are. We stumbled across a place called the Monon center. This is like a big leisure center that has conference facilities etc. Inside there is a swimming pool and a running track that circles the main basket ball court. It is a little strange as I have never seen a running track built as a balcony two floors up. You see people running and walking in different lanes depending how fast they are going. I think I might be getting a little set in my ways or I am just so totally green, but when I see loads of people running indoors or running on tread mills when there are lots of footpaths for running on outside on the, quite frankly, warmest Mid-November day I have even encountered, just seems odd. Why would you drive somewhere to run indoors and then drive back? I just don’t get it.

Anyway, as we are about to drive back we get a call from Sian asking if would like a sofa. The timing couldn’t have been better. I was due to get paid tomorrow and the plan was you buy a sofa then. As comfortable as the removable car seats are, they are no substitute for a proper couch. Apparently, a friend of a friend was moving to a smaller place and this couch was too big and was about to be dropped off at a charity shop, when Sian though of us. Cut to an hour later and our apartment is swarming in people moving the new couch into the living room. When I say new, I am not exaggerating. This couch is great! In fact I was seriously thinking about having a row with Sarah so I could sleep on the couch and to think about what I had done. Anyone who knows me knows that I am crap at arguing. I tend to mutter to my invisible friend when confronted in those kinds of situations.

After the dust settled a bit and we had a little chill out, we were off to see the lighting of the Carmel Christmas tree. I would usually say it is a little early to get into the Christmas spirit of things, but truthfully I loved it. I really love this kind of event because you get a real sense of community. As we parked up you could see a row of around 20 stalls, all lit up with twinkly lights, selling homemade cookies, jams, waffles, apple cider, etc. As you went down the row everyone was keen to chat and have a laugh, while offering free samples. Some of the stalls I had no interest in buying the food, but when you kids have polished off half the tasters, you kind of feel obligated to buy something.

Just across from these stalls were real reindeer with (real, but rather tall) elves holding on to the reigns. We waited in line to have a balloon animal made. Katie wanted a reindeer hat made from balloons and Zack wanted a Candy cane. Of all the things this guy could make out of balloons, Zack asks for a single white balloon with a crick in the end. Nice one Zack!

When asked if they wanted to go and wait in the line to sit on Santa’s knee, both kids looked at the huge line and said “Naa… we’ll wait until Christmas” which is ironic, as I think there are kids even know still waiting in line.

After getting back and warming up a bit, it was party time. Sian and David had organized a get together from some of the other expats and friend of theirs to pile around there house. Bottles of beer in huge ice buckets and food and snacks sitting on hot plates, it was great! It was good to chat with the other expats and talk about their experiences here and exchanging tips on things to do and what to look out for. There were quite a few other kids of a similar age to Zack and Katie who seemed to enjoy their company. In the basement there was a playroom with a Nintendo wii and big TV screen. We could leave the kids pretty much to their own devices. Every once In a while you see one of them shoot past us in the kitchen, weaving in and out of the other guests legs usually holding on to some food such as a bit of pizza on a paper plate. I’d go down and check on them every once in a while and they would be sitting and chatting to the other kids. Zackery would be they in the corner, with a clean plate and no crumbs and Katie would be there with an orange face and bits of spaghetti down her front. (That girl.. honestly!, She looked like a wii possessed umber-lumpha).

I had a really good time and I wanted to stay longer, but in the end the kids where absolutely exhausted after a busy day and didn’t make it back to apartment without falling asleep in the back of the car. I had a drink (or two) and Sarah drove back! I think she loves driving here.

No comments:

Post a Comment