Sunday, November 8, 2009

ah Mellow Man!

I think there must be something in the air today. It has been a lovely warm day where I have worn nothing but and jumper. (Let me rephrase that, I didn’t wear a coat I wore a jumper). Although most of leafs are now on the ground the sun is really beaming. Time for a lovely stroll.

Knowing that we needed to get some bits and pieces for Zack’s first full day, we ventured out to the wide work of “Target”. I think I have mentioned target before but for those who missed it, “Target” is a bit like John Lewis. Seems it was a nice day for a walk we all set of to go the most direct route to the shop. Comfortable in the knowledge that I can cross these 10 lanes of traffic in relative safety, we were all set off to cross the road… without incident I am happy to say. We walked through clay terrace, which is full of the high end stores I have talked about before. Must walk quickly!

When we arrived at the store the kids were just about exhausted. Two trolleys, two kids, two seats… sorted, right? Nope. The shopping trolleys are slightly different here. Other them being plastic, the trolleys have two levels to them. They have a kind of shelf, ideal for carrying heavy items such as big bottles water, flat pack furniture or, as it turns out, a small child. “Look I’m superman flying through the air” says my darling son. “Yep, but I am pretty sure that superman got higher the 4 inches you are flying just now”. We eventually got all the stuff we needed/would be prepared to carry home and got ready to go. “Is the man and woman coming to pick us up again?” says Katie. “No, that was a very happy occurrence that happened one time. We need to walk home” I say, knowing I have just pulled the pin out of a whine grenade. “BUT I’M TIRED AND I CAN’T WALK ANYMORE” she screams at the top of her voice. “well we are all tired, we have all walked a long way and I’m sure that that if we just keep a positive attitude and think about something else we will be there in no time” I say. Although she is only four, she sure knows how to give a look of “ I’m four, I’m not dumb… I don’t buy that crap for a second”.

Needless to say it was a longer journey back to the apartment. We stopped every little while for a break if we saw a bench or wall or even ground it would seem. All was going well until it came to the killer road again. I turns out (in Zack’s eyes) the central reservation is also a good place to sit down when you are tired. Needless to say that he has learned that isn’t the case.

Once we got back to the apartment Katie wondered off to her bedroom. She sometimes has problems articulating in words what she means, but when she appeared back in the living room wearing her pajamas, she communicated quite well the fact that she wasn’t going out again today.

I think it is fair to say I am the kind of person who always seems to be doing. I get really get restless if I don’t get out and about in the day, especially when the weather is so nice. I knew we needed some more groceries, so armed with a sturdy bag I went on my jolly way to Marsh. Marsh is a grocery store that I would equate to Waitrose. Earlier in the week Dan had told me that he had seen an advert for, whit for it, crème fresh! Wow! This stuff is like gold dust. The store that sold it was very close to marsh. From my little adventure to find the nearest playground yesterday I worked out that I could take a fairly direct and safe route to the store. The authorities here have been working on an extension to the Monon trail. This is a foot path that goes through the woods and is ideal for cycling and walking etc. This worked quite well. It was safe and much quicker too!



I got to the store that sold the crème fresh ($4.99 for a small pot.. Rip off), then went on to Marsh. I got some of the basics including yoghurt (for Zack’s packed lunch) eggs etc, orange juice and milk (each in a gallon container). Fully laden with all this stuff I worked out I could do a more direct route. There is even a path! Result!.. Yet again I was tricked. Damn you! You and your paths to nowhere!



As I walked I thought “Stick with the plan Ben it has to be quicker… It’s not that bad it’s all downhill… downhill quite fast… God this is steep, ok I ‘m running now and we have stopped… what’s that squelching? … ew great, that my trainers wrecked, my foot has gone right in the mud. Back we go, maybe I go under the bridge under the paved bit… nope that’s not paved they are rocks. Come on Ben just balance… An gallon container in each hand you will be ok… Ok this is starting to feel like a quarry now as the rocks are moving. You are nearly clear... safe! :0) oh, another big hill :0( I just need to get to the other side of that fence… ok wall.. need to get the other side of that wall… it’s not too high… 1,2,3 jump….it not to high that side anyway! And the eggs are still not cracked.”



I eventually got back on the trail and limped home, with a squelch on every alternate foot. I must have looked a right state compared to these fresh faced cyclist who decided to stay on the track. “Come on children, ignore the strange man.” – I think I heard one lady say… (cow!)

Needless to say when I got back home I had to freshen up and get changed. Soon after that I got a call from Dave “I’m out side, you ready?”

I quickly get my stuff together and go on my way to pick up the car. Off we went back to Tim’s garage/man cave. He got all the paperwork ready for me to sign. “Basically there is a whole load of fine print that is there, but who reads that right? Just sign this bit here and Initial there and he keys are yours” says Tim. “Can I read it first?” I say, “If you want to” says Tim.

Basically it says that I was buying it as seen and there is no warranty on it. With this in mind I asked if I could check the seats that didn’t lock down that he said were fixed. “It sounds to me like you don’t trust me” he said with a deadpan menacing face…. A long 5 seconds pass as all I could here was the tick of the clock and the sound of crickets chirping… “arrr I’m just kidding you, knock yourself out. I’m not really like that” he said with a big grin on his face. God that was awkward (and he knew it). I go out to see the seats and take the car’s VIN details etc for the paper work. Yep, the car seats are stick right in there, and if I pull this cord will come out, and if I put it back they will lock back in place…. they will lock back in place….damn it lock back in place you b**tard thing! Oh crap! I’ve broke it. (Glad I didn’t sign anything).

“Er, Tim? About these seats?” It turns out they only lock when folded down… I thought I had good and proper broken them. It was a good job he showed me how to do it as I would have spent ages trying to get them in there. Happy with the inspection of the car, I went in the office, signed the ownership papers and gave the man his cheque.

We shook hands and I agreed to follow Dave back to my apartment. In the car I get… wuw, wuw, wuw.. ticky, ticky, ticky, “oh you are kidding me”… wuw, wuw, wuw.. ticky, ticky, ticky, nothing. It has a flat battery “GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!” It turns out that I had flatted the battery when leaving the doors open for a good hour while messing around with the seats.

He gave us a boost and I was on my way. He said that it was a brand new battery and if I get any problems with it, he will swap it out for me.

I got home and I was knackered!

No comments:

Post a Comment