Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Today is St Patrick’s Day and there are few “Irish” traditions that I had no idea about. I’m sure if someone came over from Ireland they wouldn’t know it either!
I work up this morning to hear the news that they have put green dye in the Chicago River.



It is really weird as, when I had the padding pool back home I would spend most of my time trying to stop it from being green.

I was told (although it fell on deaf ears) that on St Patrick’s Day it is traditional to wear something green. I thought that one or two people might join in, but as it turns out that EVERYONE wears green. Colleges, bosses, friends, police officers, strangers… EVERYONE! … except me (as it turns out). I found myself in a meeting today feeling a bit left out and ended up tucking the green dry wipe board marker in my shirt so at least there was something green on me.

At lunchtime Dan and I went to an Irish pub called Claddagh to have a pint of Guinness. It was packed full of jolly Americans wearing green and having ginger beards. I was a guy wearing a t-shirt that say 0% Irish.. 100% drunk, which I thought summed up the atmosphere quite well. It looked like quite a few people had taken the day off. I have to admit that after a pint I was more than willing to settle in, but thought better of it and go back to the office.

There were quite a few people walking around in kilts. I am gutted that I didn’t wear the kilt I have with me. I know it doesn’t have green on it, but next year I am definitely wearing it.

Before you ask, the answer is not I won’t!

No comments:

Post a Comment