Friday, March 12, 2010

Oh its date night... oh what a night

Sarah and I always relied on Mum & Dad to look after the kids so we could have some “US” time. As a result, we have never needed a baby sitter. We have been here since the 20th of October 2010 and haven’t been out together as a couple since arriving. Last Friday I got a baby sitter. It was the daughter of Dan my co-workers friend from his church. (I feel I should say twice removed somewhere in there).
After finishing work I picked her up and took her back the apartment to meet Katie and Zack. She was good and Katie liked her a lot (although Zack slept straight through and didn’t even know she was here).

We decided to go to the Old Library, also known as Woody’s. Upstairs there was a restaurant and downstairs there is a bar.
We went up stars and asked for a table for two.

“Do you have a reservation?” asked the hostess. What’s the big deal, there are only two of us. How difficult can this be?

“No” says I

“I’ll just check the book at see if we can squeeze you in… ah yes I think there is a space” She says opening a book that is 3 inches thick.

We go around the corner to find out this place is really tiny inside. Really small, but very VERY nice. The whole restaurant is laid out like a library with table tacked on to bookcases, and enclosed dining table surrounded by books. The hostess then presented the menus to us in inch think books. I thought that these menus have far too much selection for me to pick something to east. I than realized inside the book there were plastic menus inside. It was all just to keep the theme of the old library.

The food was fantastic! I got the Fish n Chips.

This always amuses me as in America they call Chips “fries”. They call Crisps “Chips”. This is fine except when they refer to Fish ‘n’ Chips as this means chips. Not knowing I was English I asked if the Chips were like the Tangy Cheese Dorito Chips or the Cool Ranch Dorito Chips.

“No Sir, it’s not Fish ‘n’ Chips it is Fish ‘n’ Steak Fries”.

“Oh I’m sorry I was a little confused as it said chips” I say

I know it is petty but it really amuses me.

After we ate we went down stairs and sat at the bar for a bit. It was a very nice place and I look forward to having a beer or two in the garden when summer finally get here and it warms up a bit.

We got back to the apartment and Abby the babysitter had an easy time with the kids. She said they were really well behaved and Zack didn’t even wake up. (Next time I will make sure the kids are loaded up with sugar and make her earn her money! :0) Muhahah)

On the way back to her house, I talked about when my brother and I used to be babysat and the things that we used to get up to. I remember my brother Damian loading an umbrella with confetti and persuading our babysitter to open it while I dropped things down from the top landing. I remember there being a lot of laughter (by all three of us) but I am pretty sure it was our babysitter who had to clean all the mess up while we slept.

Great days!

No comments:

Post a Comment