Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wax on Wax off

They say that old habits die hard. Back in the UK I was fairly car proud. I mean I wouldn’t say that I would religiously clean it every weekend, but when it needed doing, I wouldn’t be afraid to get the brushes and buckets out.

Since I have been here I haven’t seen anyone clean their own car. There are lots of car washes around (usually with long lines of cars waiting to be seen), but to see someone outside their own house with so much as a jet wash... So what! I don’t care! All I know is that due to the amount of snow that we have had and the sheer volume of salt that has been put down, my car is so grey that it is blending in the with color of the road.

Time to wash the car me thinks
  • Buckets – Check
  • Hot Water – Check
  • Brushes – Check
  • Let’s do this thing!

Off I go, thoroughly washing the windows and liberally using my secret formula of vinegar and washing up liquid to make my car gleam. Carrying on with my usual method of wash, rinse and shine I suddenly realized why nobody cleans their own car here.

The thing that became very obvious while cleaning the other side of the car is that this kind of job is best performed above 0oC as water (just in case you didn’t know) freezes! I’m sure this seems obvious but you need to realize that in the last 7 weeks the warmest it has been is 2oC and the coldest it has been -16oC, but usually it is around the -4oC mark. After a while you get used to it and forget how cold it actually is. Of course being British I reserve the right to bitch about the cold!

Anyway, I think it is safe to say I have learned my lesson in car washing, as the new method I am adopting is wash, rinse, scrape ice away ...screw it, that will do.

There is no way I am going to stand out here and shine this bloody thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment