Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Big Cheese in Chicago

I have a busy day to as I am meeting the big boss of Gatorade. I say meet, I will be in the same room but I’m not sure how bigger part I will play in the meeting.

5:50am - Phone call from Zack’s school to say there is a 2 hour delay on the school bus arriving due to the snow.

6:00am - breakfast with the kids.

6:30am - Wash and dressed (listening to Chris Moyles Breakfast Show on Radio 1. God bless Sirius XM)



6:55am - See the lump of snow that I think is my car… but no path.



7:20 - Found car and dug it out of the snow.



7:25 - Get stuck in traffic



8:30 - Arrive at Greg’s apartment building



8:43 - Swing past the office to pick up business cards



9:10 - Arrive at airport



9:25 - Airport Security: Greg goes through without any problems, I get a scan, pat-down and a look of hope from a guy wearing a latex glove



10:40 - Take off

10:41 - Man reading the newspaper next to me has claimed the middle arm rest

11:10 - He reaches to put the rubbish in the bin that the air hostess is bringing around and I take my chance... Muhahaha (eat my elbow newspaper man).

11:59 - Newspaper man starts chatting to me and he tells me that he once dated a girl from Bristol. I told him I love Bristol city’s...

12:00 - I’m still laughing to myself

12:05 - We get off the plane in to the sunny city of Detroit (Sunny, yeah right). The airport here is a lot like the one at Indianapolis but it has a monorail inside the main terminal. It kind of reminds me of the Disney hotel near the Epcot centre in Florida. I thought to myself this is how the Jetsons must live.



12:10 - Get on second plane to Chicago

12:34 - Still waiting on the plane. There is a delay as there is ice under the wings. The pilot has powered down the plane while a kind of jet wash type thing come and steams it off. Good to see the "Mikes car wash" franchise is branching out.

14:20 - Made it... Now let me out

15:20 - Get taxi to the PepsiCo Building



16:45 - We are massively early, so we wait in the McDonalds across the street.

17:00 - We enter the PepsiCo lobby take the elevator to the top floor where Gatorade is (G level)



17:10 - I am a conference room that overlooks the Chicago and I can see Lake Michigan in all its freezing glory. There are around 30 people from different parts of Pepsi, Gatorade and the New Design Company. We were asked to go around the circle to say who you were, what company you we are from and what your job title was. As we went round the circle, the titles people came out with were, well acronym city! “I’m CEO of VML… I’m VP of PSML… I’m Creative director of Blah blah, I’m executive assistant to the CEO and VP of VML.” By the time it got to me I was unsure what to say as it didn’t seem as grand as all of these. In the end I said I was a web designer, but in my head I so wanted to say “I’m Ben German BSc, with expertise in CSS and SEO, but FYI I’m a VIP, LOL, PMSL.. JK”. I was quite impressed that at least two people from the creative agency had a little goatee thing just under their lip (I think they call it a caterpillar). I’d love to grow one, but whenever I try to do it I start stroking it with my to
p lip and end up being gurner of the year and getting chapped lips.



19:07 - Lets go for drinks... Two words that work best together were then said… “Open Bar” This was a good chance to meet some of the people from the different creative agencies. I suddenly became aware of whose company I was in. The people I am now having a drink with are from the top Creative agencies in the mid west. These people have done work for brands like Ford, Warner Bros, Adidas, HSBC, MSN, Microsoft and Xbox. I was like I was in the company of the Mel Gibson character in “What women want”. You need to understand, as a creative type myself, this was like creative royalty.

20.15 - Back to the airport

21:30 - Gourmet meal in the airport

22:50 - Board the plane

23:15 - Finally taxi to the end of the runway in all the snow.

00:05 - Land in Indianapolis

00:20 - Drop Greg off

01:00 - I get into bed

What a day!

1 comment:

  1. hotel lady, EdinburghFebruary 17, 2010 at 5:43 AM

    No matter how I am feeling your blogs always make me smile! You really missed your vocation, both you and Sarah's updates are really worth reading. If she ever gets the time she has to collaborate both and write a book. It would bring a lot of much needed smiles to this dreary world! Not that I am biased you understand!!!

    ReplyDelete