Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do you like your eggs on the morning?

This is the strangest thing. I didn't think I was odd in wanting a boiled egg. It turns out this is a bit of weird thing. People don't have boiled eggs.
  • Scrambled - of course
  • Poached - why not
  • Fried - absolutely
  • Boiled - you what!

I had a conversation the other day with a store clerk at an expensive, sorry, I mean exclusive kitchen shop about where you find egg cups and she had no idea what I was talking about.

“Do you eat the shell?” she asks in a very puzzled way

“No you take the top off” I say

“With what”

“A knife”

“You saw it open”

“No you give a whack”

“How do you eat the stuff in the top”

“It called egg white and you use a spoon... Then dip soldiers in the egg yolk (you know the yellow bit)”

“Soldiers?” she says looking at me as if I’m about to dip military personnel into an egg.”

“Never mind. Do you sell egg cups or not?”

“Er…No.”

I left the store empty handed but felt I had past on valuable knowledge of another culture, oh, that and what the yellow bit is.

Currently we are using coke bottle tops to balance the eggs on but I'm sure they will have a thing called eBay here.

3 comments:

  1. I randomly stumbled across your blog... I live in the Indianapolis area as well. I spotted some at Tuesday Morning the other day. Can't promise they'd still be there now or the northside store would have the same inventory, but there's one located near Michigan Rd and 79th St. Though personally I'd just order them off of ebay or online. Welcome to Indy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, have you ever used Craigslist to buy things like furniture, electronics? I bought just about every stick of furniture and appliance in my house used from Craiglist at a fraction of the price, and they're all high end pieces. I.E. two chairs from Kittles originally 700 a piece for 275 total. It's reminiscent of the ads section of the newspaper. Sometimes people are hard to get ahold of or a little flaky, but I find it's worth the trouble. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir and you've heard of it, but it's a great source if you don't feel like paying ridiculous retail prices.

    ReplyDelete